High School, 765-675-7431, #136
Middle School, 765-675-7521, #236
Elementary School, 765-675-7397, #436
Health Services Documents
Role of the Nurse
The role of the school nurse is not always easy to understand. This is due to widely separated school buildings and the many diverse responsibilities.
The nurse works in an educational setting with students who are basically well. The nursing service focuses on health counseling, education, and consultation.
The school nursing services:
- provide nursing care that incorporates health promotion and disease prevention;
- work with groups, families, and individuals who have an increased risk of illness, disability, or premature death;
- function in multidisciplinary teams and programs;
- efer to other agencies in order to ensure comprehensive health and welfare services needed to support health care;
- work with and through community leaders, health-related groups, and relevant social action programs to advocate, develop, and implement programs of health promotion and disease prevention.
- Caring for the sick student; administering first aid to injured students
- Checking for communicable disease (including head lice)
- Administering medication
- Hearing, vision and scoliosis screening
- Reviewing and updating immunization records, physical and dental records
- Dental health, HIV/AIDS, and "Growing Up" education
- Kindergarten Roundup
- Blood drives
- Assist medical doctors with sport physicals
- Education and immunization of faculty and staff